Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Take Me Camping

Sock Landscape, Red Wood Forest colorway. Pretty aptly named, wouldn't you say? This yarn just makes me want to go camping, especially in the Sequoias.

I love camping. I grew up camping. My sister's birthday is in July and she used to say that every birthday she remembers as a child was spent in a campground somewhere.

The hubby loves camping. One of the things that drew me to him was that he was the "outdoorsy" type.... (well, that and he was cute, and we were both in college, taking Algebra II for the second time.... we were obviously meant to be together).

So, we've always camped. The kids have always camped. Since they were babies - months old. We usually tent camp, but we've done it all, trailers, campers, backpacking... but we mostly tent camp. Get to our destination, throw out assorted bags with tents, poles, ground pads, and sleeping bags, and even my girls can set up their own tent in no time flat.

People are always amazed when a girl can set up a tent. This comes in handy for the girls when they go camping with their church Youth Group. All the "guys" are standing around, not knowing which way is up with their tent poles, and the girls are all moved in, laying on their sleeping bags, and starting in on the snacks they brought.

A few months ago the hubby and I went camping with about 40 or so of his "manly men" friends when they had swift water training. Families were invited. Only three other women went, and one never left her 40' luxury camper the whole weekend - never saw her. I know the other woman pretty well, and we spent the weekend together, camping around and watching the guys. After a nice campfire, when everyone retired to their tents and campers for the evening, it was not lost on the majority that they were going to a lonely sleeping bag and, well, the hubby was not.... let's just say... you rack up major points.

The morning we left, while the guys were all freezing their you-know-whats off in the freezing river water, I packed up camp and got it all stowed away. One of the other guys walked by, amazed, and said "you packed up camp for him??? Man, I'm gonna go home and kick my wife's butt!"

I love camping. I need to go camping.

So, checkee out my Jaywalker camping socks... coming right along! I finally figured out what I was supposed to be doing, and these are really fun to knit! The pattern is a snap (well, yeah, once you do it right), and that's my favorite part.... totally portable, don't have to bring your pattern along, and just different enough to keep it interesting.

So, back to camping. Last year the hubby's parents gave us their trailer, when they were "trading up." I tell ya - this is the big time. Everytime we take it somewhere I can't believe it's ours! Indoor plumbing, and a kitchen. Okay, to tell the truth, we hardly go in it, except to sleep. We still cook outdoors, run to the campground bathroom.... this'll take some getting used to, living like a queen and all.

Actually, the hubby's hauling the trailer home tonight. It's also our "spare room." His parents are coming from Texas to stay a few days for a late Christmas. We set them up in their old trailer in the driveway. Good of us, huh? Actually, they love it, and we love having them. Don't know how much knitting will be done, or blogging, but I'll check in when I can, maybe with a finished sock!

11 Comments:

At 11:47 AM, Blogger amylovie said...

You sock is beautiful. I LOOOOVE the colorway. It looks so much prettier in person than in the ball online.

We are a camping family too. We took the girls for their first camping (tent) experience last year when they were four. They loved it.

Amy

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger chris said...

Your Jaywalker is GORGEOUS, Lynda!! I love the colorway, too. And Amy's right- it looks so much prettier than it does online or in the catalog. It looks fabulous in that pattern! I love camping, too, but you probably surmised that after hearing about the outhouse, hee! ;-) We go to this place (no, not our backyard...;-)) up in Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island, right on Kilauea Volcano. The view is incredible- you'll have to come someday!! Take care, and in case I don't "see" you before I leave, Happy New Year!! :-)

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

See..??? That's why you have so many OUTSIDE pictures!!

Well, I guess my "Embassy Suites" camping will have to do! Candsmom...we go to Volcano every April...we love the Big Island!

NICE socks...you do good work..(give the inlaws my best...I havent' seen them probably since a random wedding or baby shower or something!!)

 
At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Call me a priss. A loser. A big fat weenie. I HATE camping.
Back in the early eighties, my parents took the family camping, and I was miserable. I was on my period, and I had nowhere to plug in my curling iron to make my hair all big and fancy. Sad days, Lynda, sad days.
I've never been since.

Your socks are coming out wonderful, and that colorway speaks to me. But it doesn't say for me to go camping. ;)

 
At 7:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The colorway makes mw think of autumn. I just love it.

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger SAM said...

The socks are fabulous and I completely understand the knit rip, knit rip, knit rip thing. I just finished my first real sock and loved it. I love the idea of camping, and the few times I have done it, I enjoyed it. My husband is a hunter and outdoorsman but hates to camp - go figure. These days roughing for me is staying in Motel 6. I love walking and hiking outdoors. California is blessed with the weather AND the various terrains to enjoy camping. Your inlaws are Texans? Where?

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger Lynda said...

Hey Sheryl - the inlaws are really Californians, but followed my SIL to Austin when she got a job with Dell. They've been there about two years now, and like it, but will probably move "home" eventually.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

I second this outside photos in Southern California idea . . . too dark here to take photos, and it's noon! Plus, I love camping, hiking, kayaking - I can't wait to be out there and out-of-doors.

 
At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that red and tan yarn! Very pretty. I might just have to grab some of that yarn online this weekend!

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger Sonya said...

That is a beautiful colorway on your Jaywalker. We haven't gone camping in several years, although we both love it. We've been slowly remodeling our cottage, so it's kinda like camping all the time. ;o)

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Lovely autumnal camping Jaywalkers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home