Tuesday, December 27, 2005

I Am Not Tense...

...just dense. Kaity and I were "discussing" the fact that it takes me at least three trys to get a new knitting project successfully started. Knit, rip.... knit, rip... knit, rip.

So, we're both making Jaywalker socks. Kaity's got hers started, looking fine... first time out of the starting gate - of course. Me, I decide to use my Sock Garden in Redwood Forest. Cast on, start the ribbing.... I've made enough socks that at least I can do that right. But, the cuff already looks a little big, and I'm determined to do them on my size 2's - so I figure maybe I'll switch to my Vesper Sock yarn that Julia sent me, in the Knit and Tonic colorway, and do them with that instead. So, start over... start #2. I'm knitting away, past the cuff, onto the pattern. Man, this is making some beautiful stripes!!!

Then, they seem awfully small. And tight. And puckery. Hmmm.... go get Kaity's Jaywalkers-on-the-needles. Nope, mine don't look anything like hers. Mine look like some kind of Barbie bustier.

I show them to Kaity... help meeeee. "Mom, what the? Why are they so tight? Calm down!" I am calm, I am knitting loose, I'm not tense! No really.... I'm really not... I'm happily knitting - why are they SO tight? Darn, I don't know. Well, this certainly isn't going to work. Maybe it's the yarn. Maybe I should go back to the Sock Garden. So, rip....

Try #3 - back to Sock Garden. Cuff done... looking good. Okay, start the pattern. Hey! (insert light bulb over head here!). Duh, idiot, moron, can't follow a simple pattern. I NOW remember back when I first read the pattern (you know, just the once), that the "patterned" part of the sock had TWO rows, one a pattern row, one a straight knit row. I've been doing the patterned row every row... no wonder. "Duh Mom." Yeah I know. I'm not sure I should be allowed to knit. And Kaity should really pay more attention to what I'm doing when I do knit. Yeah - let's blame her!

So..... Still on try #3, and they're looking beautiful. I've already turned the heel and picked up my stitches. Pic's tomorrow. You'll be impressed. I am. Of course, at this point I easily impress myself! But hey - it's the third try on the same socks..... so it should be smooth sailing from here on out!

And.... check some of this Christmas loot - a nice basket for my knitting from a dear friend (the Branching Out recipient),

and, these most gorgeous stitch markers....silver and gemstone! My first "pretty" stitch markers. The adults on my side of the family choose names, and my BIL got my name (Christmas-head's hubby). He actually went to my favorite LYS and picked these out himself! - along with a nice little gift certificate! What a guy! Nice job.

(sorry about the wonky picture at the top.... for some reason I can't get it to post right. If you click on it, the enlarged picture is better... not my fault, I'm sure)

14 Comments:

At 9:11 AM, Blogger amylovie said...

So third time is a charm. Can't wait to see the FO.

Amy

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have that same problem, starting over and over before it's right. You're just better than me, by admitting it. ;)

Love those stitch markers. My favorite color!

Glad you and your family had a nice holiday.

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely socks and lovely stitch markers! It doesn't matter how many tries it takes, as long as it works out for you. There is NO wrong way to knit!

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Marion said...

I do the starting over and over thing too, you're not alone. The stitch markers a very pretty.

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger chris said...

Don't worry, you're definitely not alone! If I don't have to frog a project several times in the beginning, I get very suspicious that I did something REALLY wrong and that the whole project will need to be frogged at the end. ;-) Your knitting basket is beautiful and your stitch markers are just gorgeous! I'm so impressed with your BIL for picking out such a perfect gift for you. Can't wait to see pics of your Jaywalker!! Take care! :-)

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

Hey!...I have to do the same thing with most projects..and I refuse to admit that it's because of any "disorder" I have...it's only to prolong the joy of the project! (uh..right?..c'mon, someone play along!)

Oh, and you can call your Mom and harass her about what she was doing in the LYS so close to Christmas!!!...(but don't tell her who snitched her out! LOL)

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

i love the stitch markers! very pretty! =)

 
At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful stitch markers! And the Jaywalker socks looked good even if they were too tight! Can't wait to see them "right" ;-)

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Sonya said...

I do the same thing. Usually it's a result of trying to skim the pattern rather than reading it. I always tell myself it's good practice to knit, frog, knit, frog, knit, etc. Very pretty stitch markers. Whatcha gonna get with the gift certificate?!

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger Cheri said...

I've been knitting for over 30 years and am still starting and ripping and starting and ripping. I have a pair of socks I've cast on 4 (count 'em) 4 times and I can't seem to get it right. It's maddening!!

Your socks look lovely and those are beautiful markers, what a thoughtful gift.

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

So good to know I'm not the only one.... I'll carry on!

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Kaity said...

HEY! Don't blame your knitting retarded-ness on me not paying attention, mam! I gots my own knitting to do!

 
At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely Christmas plate. I'm very gifted too at reading patterns wrongly all the time!

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

Yup - moving to San Diego in June. I'm so happy - it was either that or Norfolk, and I loved San Diego when I was out there in September. How much am I going to have to change my knitting habits, though?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home