Monday, January 09, 2006

Nooooo!

No, there's nothing wrong with this knitting, it's my stooooopid carpal tunnel syndrome, back with a vengeance! If you look closely you can see a lovely scar running up my wrist and into my palm. I have a matching one on the other hand. Between typing all day for a livin', and knitting whenever I can find a free moment, I guess it was inevitable.

I had surgery 15 years ago, and it was the best thing I ever did... however about five years ago I started noticing the dreaded tingling coming back. My neurosurgeon said I would be his first repeat customer (I guess it's somewhat unusual for it to come back), and he would be happy to do surgery whenever I was ready. The point is - I've been putting it off for the last five years because I DON'T WANT to have surgery again!

Because:
#1 - It HURTS after surgery!
#2 - They have to do both wrists separately (unless you want to be totally helpless and have someone do EVERYTHING for you while you have no use of your hands for weeks - I mean, the hubby loves me, but he draws the line at wiping my butt) - so for the first three weeks you can't use one hand, then they go and debilitate your "good hand." So, you're pretty much out of commission for awhile. Not fun.
3# - The surgeon said since it would be a re-do surgery the incision and scar would be more extensive than last time (read, bigger, longer and hurt more!)
#4 - I couldn't knit!!!!! Now normally sitting around recovering from surgery would be the perfect time to get LOTS of knitting done - but sitting around when you can't use your hands is completely frustrating. And to not knit!!! I'd go crazy.

So, I'm going to continue in denial and continue postponing surgery - for the rest of my life if possible. I'll try everything to avoid that again. I've still gotta type, I've still gotta knit, but I'll knit things that don't require a lot of wrestling - really thick yarns, or stuff that sticks to the needles.... I'll figure out something. I'll play the piano less. I'll take ibuprofen around the clock until my stomach revolts. I'll even wear the dreaded splints at night... anything. Oyyyyy, I'll even lose weight. That would be good for me anyway.

Okay, enough whining - sorry....

Speaking of knitting. My Sister's Scarf is coming along nicely, but look at this puppy curl up!! The pattern calls for you to knit it in two separate halves and then graft it together, so it's all matchy-matchy, so I think before I knit the other half I'll block this half and make sure it'll lie flat.

And, did you know it is De-Lurking Week??? Neither did I, until I read it on Donna's site! What a great idea!




So, if you've been out there lurking, stop in and just say "Hi" today - it's time to delurk!

23 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so sorry to hear your carpal tunnel has returned. I keep fearing I'll come down with that, after years and years of playing piano and spending all my adult years as a very typing heavy secretary I'm sure I'm a prime candidate, plus then the knitting, but hopefully I will avoid it.

I hope you can put off surgery for a very long time!

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Can I post even if I don't lurk? ;p

Oh, I have my fingers crossed that you can avoid more surgery - that sounds horrible. :(

Um, I'm thinking that scarf is still going to curl. Stockinette curls unless it has some pretty major borders...

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Oh, I forgot to include that the crazy Chaos picture was just him yawning - and he wasn't yawning when I started to take a picture. Just one of those "lucky" shots...

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Lynda said...

Ya know Chris - it's my own dumb fault it curls... the pattern called for the body of the scarf to be knit in garter stitch, but I thought I'd like the look of stockinette better... dumb, dumb, dumb, garter stitch would be lying nice and flat right now...

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

But it looks great in st st - much more elegant than garter would, I think. But I agree with Chris - you're going to have to do something more than blocking. With all sympathy for your wrists, a couple of rounds of single crochet (yeah, around the whole thing) would probably take care of it. I mean, I hate crochet, but it'll be less weird than picking up stitches and knitting something. Although, maybe, garter stitch all around would be classy (in which case you'd have to wait until you finished both halves and grafted them together . . .

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

De-lurking here. I've only been reading about a week, though... I'll be praying for you on your wrists. That stinks. I fear that for myself - piano since age 5, heavy typing, and now knitting. The scarf is gorgeous! Hope you figure out a way to keep it from curling without having to re-do it again in garter.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Lynda said...

Amy - thanks for delurking!!! and, believe me, I'll find some way to keep it from curling - there's no way I'm starting over now!!

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Lynda, I'd rather be dizzy than have tingling in the wrists. Hope it feels better soon!

 
At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you tried those theraputic gloves? The ones that are flesh-colored lycra? I know people who swear by them for carpal tunnel.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Donna Boucher said...

Vitamin B is the answer...I think :o)

I know a girl who cured her CT with Vitamin B.

Hey it's worth a try!

And you'll be real happy...isn't vitamin b the happy vitamin.

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Julsey said...

delurking! My mom had the carpal tunnel surgery and she's so happy now. I'm sorry you would have to do it again :(

 
At 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sister scarf? Is that its real name, or because it's for me? :-)
It's symmetrical and matchy-matchy. You know how I love that!

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I started getting carpal tunnel (I did typing for a job, well data entry, for nearly 12 years. Then I quit my job and went back to school and am in my last semester of my BA, then moving on to the education program which is another 2 years), so I know what you mean - though not to the degree you must have had it, for I never had to have surgery.

Just wanted to update you on my sock knitting. I have been posting a little about it on my knitting blog, and I'm past the heel now...soon I'll have a grand total of a 1/2 pair done! lol

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh, carpal tunnel is so painful. I hope you can avoid more surgery.

 
At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, there's no way I'd get the wrists fixed.
Don't do it Lynda, DON'T DO IT!

Your scarf looks good even when it's curling, but I have my fingers crossed for ya that a good blocking will fix it.

Good luck.

 
At 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to suggest the gloves too. I think there is a brand called Handeze or something like that. I have had a slight bout with it and wore the brace until I got my desk area at work evaluated and changed (the furniture I have was built before the term ergonomic was invented, I think! I have another problem though - arthritis! I have it in my right pinky. Like right now it hurts to type and it's getting all deformed looking. I hope you can avoid the surgery.
Marsha

 
At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh Lynda, that SUCKS. I hope you ca figure something out to avoid the surgery. A question though -- if they do the surgery and you knit and type again (after you recover) can they guarantee that it won't come back? On the other hand, if you have the surgery... I say you buy a microphone and start your own knitting pod-cast! You could interview Wendy and all your local FWB's! Brenda from Cast On makes it sound like it's a peice of cake!

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

oh man - you had surgery??? i had tendinitis/carpel tunnel a couple years back in grad school and boy it was terrible... all that shooting pain and at the time i could barely hold a book, let alone type up a paper. so sorry to hear about it! remember to rest and take lots of breaks!!!

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

Dang, I'm so sorry your hands are back at it. Does ice help? Let me know if you need anything! (short of butt-wiping. I'm not that good a friend, sorry.)

I had a class last night at our LYS, and it was terrible. I'll have to tell you about it next time we see each other. I felt sorry for the teacher, but ...it wasn't good.

 
At 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey There! So sorry about your wrists...That really stinks. Can you posssibly learn to knit with your feet? I know people can paint with thier feet, and make Christmas Card drawings with thier feet...

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Knittypants said...

Oh carpal tunnel sucks! I had it for a while in the last few months of my pregnancy with my first. It was so frustrating. I hope you can keep it at bay.

The scarf is very pretty, I am sure you will figure out a way to make it behave, the crochet idea is good.

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

If your wrists continue to be a big problem, do think about some kind of surgery, but look into the newer techniques. Also if there is one available, ask about an occupational therapist specializing in carpal tunnel syndrome. Sometimes positioning or splinting or adaptive techniques can make a big difference. (I say this as a retired OT myself.)

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Sonya said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your carpel tunnel. I hope you don't have to have surgery. I've had periods where my wrists bothered me, but never bad enough to seek treatment. Your scarf is very pretty, BTW.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home