Tuesday, January 10, 2006

I Love... Cake

The conversations in our house are heavily interspersed with lines from our favorite movies. Mostly Princess Bride, O' Brother Where Art Thou, and Napoleon Dynamite (yeah - we're real culture freaks around here) - but we glean a line or two from most movies we watch, and some TV. The line "I Love Cake" is from The 70's Show, where Donna tells Eric she loves him, for the first time, and he's caught off guard and stammers "I love..... cake." Whenever anyone in the house says "I love....whatever" someone evitably states they love cake - or my hubby says "then why don't you marry it!" (PeeWee's Fun House reference). Yep, we're a class act here.

ok - wait, at least O'Brother is loosely based on Homer's Odyssey.... there ya go, a classic thrown in the mix.

The wasted brain space in our combined family brains, filled with stupid movie quotes, is scary. We could be watching and quoting Shakespeare, or any number of cultured things.... but no, around here it's lines shot off from "Blazing Saddles" (the funniest, and most irreverent and politically incorrect movie of all time - I can't believe I just outed myself on that one....it's bad, really) ,"Sand Lot" (your're killing me Smalls!) and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off."

My poor children, they don't stand a chance. Thankfully, they have a lot of Bible verses tucked away in their brains and hearts, and the verses to sooo many hymns and praise songs.... they'll be okay.

Anyway, I had a point...... oh yeah, well, I like my yarn in cakes. I LOVE the ball winder that was gifted to us by a fabu blogger/friend. I can't stand to see a hank of yarn - it must be wound into a cake. I like to stack them up and look at them..... I just like them in cake form.

They sit on my desk and taunt me, these little cakes - every day they want to be something different. One day the purple one wants to be a scarf, then next day it wants to be wrist warmers. The Knit-and-Tonic Vesper sock yarn won't quiet down about wanting to be next...., when it knows the Trekking XXL has pushed it's way to the front and is acting so smug about being the next pair of Jaywalkers. And that purple/pink/green lace weight that just keeps harping at me, trying to convince me it's really not as ugly as I think it is..... an ugly duckling, promising to be a swan. They try to get me to stop working and knit. And they REALLY try to get me to be a multi-project kind of gal.... They're incorrigible, really. So far, I'm stronger than they are, I have NOT cast any of them on until it's their turn.... but they're growing in numbers, and it's inevitable that someday they'll overpower me. THIS is why I don't have a large stash. I couldn't take the taunting and pressure. I.am.weak.

15 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Blogger Jillio said...

watch Anchorman, the story of Ron Burgundy!

the words "I love lamp" will be ever more profound, i promise ;)

and darn that yarn peer pressure! makes you just loopy, doesn't it?

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Jillio said...

ah yes, thanks for reminding me! count me in on the sock counting :)

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Just wanted to update you...I have officially 1/2 of a pair of socks done! Yay me!! LOL...I'll be posting a pic of it tomorrow. I'm about to start on the 2nd sock shortly and am psyched!

Just wanted to update you on the sock war!

 
At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so happy to know that my children won't be the only ones out there with both oddball movie quotes, hymns, and scriptures floating around in their little heads and hearts.

And the yarn peer pressure - yikes! I think that is why I've only completed a very few projects, ever. Well, that and finding time between 3 incredibly active small boys and the housework.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

Yea Amy - another contemporary! I won't even go into the eclectic mixture of music I've exposed them to!!!

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

That's ok, Russ and I quote "Animal House"...complete with the mimed snapping of the rubber glove. Oy.

And, I'm proud to notice a build up of stash happening..in cake form, of course (it is YOU, after all!), but stash nonetheless!!!

 
At 12:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You make my family sound normal, even though we don't know anyone else around here that does these things. We quote liberally from disney movies mostly. My 5 year old son is best at it, probably his brain is less cluttered with other things as he is only beginning to be educated :) And yes, my kids quote bible verses and sing Carpenters' and Air Supply songs, unknown to their generation!

My stash is stashed away, unseen, sometimes I forget what's in it.

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger chris said...

Happy New Year, Lynda!! Woah, LOTS of catching up to do here, but I'll get to it soon, I promise! Who needs Shakespeare when youve got PeeWee Herman? ;-) At our house, it's mostly Bill and Ted or Wayne and Garth references. Not only are we lame, but we're stuck in an eternal time warp as well. I just saw your Count Your Socks KAL and was wondering (wildly hoping, actually ;-)) that you were still accepting people...I'd love to play! Take care and I'll be back soon to catch up! :-)

 
At 5:43 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Most of my movie quoting comes from Monty Python and the Holy Grail:

"Run away!!"

Oh yeah, and a few from 2001: A Space Odyssey:

"What are you doing, Dave?"

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Beware the call of the yarn cakes - surely they are a bad influence. I know they are a bad influence, and don't call me Shirley.

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

We quote movies all the time here too. In fact many of the movies you've mentioned are our faves. It's all completely normal. ;)

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger april @ faraboverubies said...

How many calories in a yarn cake? I know...corny. Don't forget "Forrest Gump" & "Dumb & Dumber"! (Excellent sources for movie quotes)

 
At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have all my yarn under the bed. It must whisper at night, because I haven't heard it talking yet. N and I have found Willy Wonka to be a recent source of quotes ("Don't touch that squirrel's nuts!"). And FBDO is an all-time favorite!

Beuller, Beuller, anybody??

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

Well, I think you've got my family beat - all we quote are Austin Powers and Tommy Boy. High class. We quote them so much I think we embarass The Husband. Oh well.

Did I catch a niner in there? Were you calling from a walkie-talkie?

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Katie said...

LOL, I love Blazing Saddles. One moment we have caught (unintentionally) on our family videos is the campfire scene. You know the one. I was taping our son, about 11 months old, trying to climb out of his playpen. Blazing Saddles was playing on the television, and all of a sudden you can hear the sounds of you-know-what in the background. My husband and I are almost crying with laughter on the tape. Not exactly one for the scrapbook.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home