Monday, January 16, 2006

I'm Jaywalking!

Do I have a jaywalking story? Why, thanks for asking, yes I do.

On one our trips to the airport, sending Grandma and Grandpa off on one of their far away destinations, we had parked the car and were hoofing it off to the terminal to see them onto their plane, and stand at the big window and wave goodbye. I don't know how old I was, grade school age, probably just old enough I didn't have to be holding someone's hand...

We were waiting at crosswalk, waiting for the light to turn green, and I saw Grandpa start across, so I started across with him, just to hear my parents and grandparents yell, "Lynda, get back here! What do you think you're doing?"

It wasn't Grandpa I was following, just another bald-headed grandpa traveler.... wrong Grandpa.

This may or may not have been the trip where I was sure we were lost while driving around LA on our way to the airport, and I was getting a little worried. Grandpa was teasing and said something like, "maybe we are lost, I think we're in China!" - when just then we turned the corner and who might be standing on the corner but a nice Oriental family..... I started to cry, oh NO!! - we were lost! - lost in CHINA...

I guess I was a gullible child.

But, these new Jaywalker socks of mine - I love them!

Here's the specs:
Pattern: Jaywalker, by Grumperina.
Yarn: KnitPicks Sock Landscape in RedWood Forest - two skeins
Needle: Size 2 DPN's
I made them the smaller of the two sizes, casting on 76 stitches.

I really do love this pattern - I can totally understand the hype. Enough that I've already cast on my next pair. The pattern is easy enough that I can knit it without taking the pattern with me, and it's just interesting enough to keep me from getting bored. No long, boring stockinette sections. That's where the socks usually stall for me. With these, no stalling.

I love the yarn, also. It pools a little, or maybe just does large swirls, around the tops and the gusset decreases, but I'm one of those who really doesn't mind pooling.

I'm wearing these babies right now, and they're warm and comfy. I'm wearing them with my brown leather Simple clogs (the ones that look like baked potatoes on my feet) - you know, hippie style, just so I can hear the girls groan as soon as they see them. It's all about embarrassing the kids. Yep. It's my job, and I'm a pro.

20 Comments:

At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are lovely colours on your jaywalkers. I'm beginning to wonder why everyone is so in love with them.

 
At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neato socks!

Love your stories, they're a hoot.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Hey those socks look great! Some day when I get more experienced with socks I'm going to try that pattern!

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Sonya said...

Great Jaywalkers with a great jaywalking story! I just cast on for Jaywalkers last night, but I haven't gotten past the ribbing yet.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger SAM said...

Those socks are FABULOUS! I haven't bought yarn for them yet. All I had in my stash was self striping. I am going to be on the lookout for fabulous yarn for these and I'm making them for me!

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger SAM said...

It's me again - I LOVE the new look of your blog (I love ladybugs too!) - how did you do that on blogspot?

 
At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BEAutiful Lynda! I need to try that pattern out! Embarassing the kids...that's great.

 
At 4:58 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Your Jaywalkers look fabulous - cute picture! (Heck, I spent some time just looking at the grass and thinking, "Wow, green. Pretty.")

Heh, later today I'll be posting about my finished Jaywalkers... and I'm all set to cast on for another pair, too.

 
At 5:02 AM, Blogger amylovie said...

I have the Jaywalkers on my "must knit" list. Yours look fab. Gotta love a mom that lives to embarrass her kids. It's payback time from when they had a meltdown in the grocery store.

Amy

 
At 5:26 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Yes, I too have plans for attempting Jaywalking in the next few months. I can only hope mine look half as lovely as yours!! And a terrific story to go with them too, what more could one ask??

 
At 6:33 AM, Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

Great Jaywalkers! Loved your story of being lost in China.

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

The socks are lovely! I don't mind pooling either.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Jillio said...

great socks! *sigh* wish my yarn would cooperate with me already.

cute story :) grandpas are so cute, aren't they? mine is partially blind, and sometimes he wanders off looking at foliage. he's really into botany.

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Beautiful jaywalkers! I still have yet to start mine over. I got sidetracked by casting on for a new big-boy blankie for Davis. But soon enough I'll need a diversion of the sock kind.

 
At 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fun story. I was a gullible child too, for years I thought elephants came from eggs because my brother told me these huge rocks in the fields of Iowa were elephant eggs.

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger chris said...

Your Jaywalkers are just GORGEOUS!! I really love them in that Redwood Forest. I think that may be another must-have inspired by you- I'm definitely not disappointed with the Geranium! And your airport/grandpa story is too cute! Bossy had a similar incident recently, where we saw him run in between some strange man's legs, only to have him look up and realize it wasn't dad!! Luckily, that guy was dad to a toddler, so he wasn't too weirded out. Take care! :-)

 
At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love em!

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Beautiful Beautiful socks! LOVE the colorway. What yarn are you using for your next pair?

 
At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe, what a cute photo! And what beautiful Jaywalkers! Would you like them to be in the gallery?

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

Lovely sock yarn!!!!! Wanna see some really wild Jaywalkers? Check out my blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home