Monday, February 13, 2006

Georg!!!


Kaity and I spent much of the weekend knitting in front of the TV, watching the Olympics. You know, there in spirit for all our Olympic Knitting friends. We, however are doing the no-stress version, as Olympic Knitting Observers. Neither of us are too keen on self-imposed stress or deadlines... okay, we're lazy, too...

Now, our Olympic rooting strategy is quite scientific.... we root for the American, and if there's no American in this particular event, then we root for the cutest guy. If there's no cute guy (we really miss the swimmers) -we root for the guy with the best name.

That's how we came across Georg (loudly pronounced in our home as Geee Org, emphasis on Org). There was an almost-cute Georg competing in the Nordic combined, so we chose him as our guy and, based on our strict criteria, after two ski jumps and a 5000? meter cross country ski race, darned if Georg didn't win! Every time they'd mention him we'd yell out "Georg!" I told her, if we were in college we'd be yelling "Georg!" then slamming back shots of tequila.

Not that I ever did that...

Later we found a couple of other Georgs to root for - so unless there's an American in the bunch, we're going with the Georgs.

So, I'm on the home stretch on my scarf, getting all that knitting done during the Olympics, in a sober Diet-Coke-drinking state (Kaity's only almost-18, and I'm a lightweight drinker). I try not to drink and knit at the same time, anyway. That can't be good for my knitting.

I'm trying to decide if it needs fringe or not... any opinions?

Georg!

14 Comments:

At 9:16 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Hee hee - love your strategy!

Um, I hate fringe, so I will always vote no fringe.

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Pea and I were having a fun time with "Antti Autti", especially after I made the crack about his lesser known cousin "Uncle Inny". No, we weren't drinking anything stronger than diet soda over here either, we're just stupid silly!! I'm cracking myself up just thinking about it!!

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Kaity said...

I still like Hannu! Hannu!

Geeooooooooorg!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Sonya said...

Oh, how I love European names! Since DH refuses to assess cuteness in guys, we go with the best flag. Our current favorite is Norway.

I'm gonna have to go with Chris on the fringe.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Jen said...

I love the men's swimming too, but sometimes the pants are a tiny bit...embarrassing. I mean, how do they stay up? That is an Olympic sport in itself!

 
At 10:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Chris...I'm anti-fringe...that said, if it's the same fringe as "fig and plum" has on hers, I do actually like it. Oh, that's helpful...NOT.

GEORG!
ANTTI!
HANNU!

I love all the names...I love me some multi-culturalism!

 
At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Winter Olympics, all the skating and skiing - love it all! It was sad to see Michelle Kwan have to give up her dreams of gold. I think she should've won instead of Tara Lipinski a few years back. I'm thinking now they are going to have to add a category - Graceful Figure Skating or something because it's just become way too focused on athleticism rather than beauty. Michelle is a dying breed. Anyway - yeah, funny names and cute guys! Young guys - dang - when did I get so old?!! The Autti for me was "Inny Autti".
Marsha

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Knittypants said...

Well, to be different, I kind of like fringe. It can make things seem more finished. I guess what you like matters most.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger chris said...

My sisters and I have the same strategy! Well, minus the Georg part, anyway. ;-) Always root for the American, and if there's no American, root for the cute guy!! Bonus if it's an American cute guy! I feel a little like a pedophile doing that, though, since most of the guys are about a decade younger than me. ;-) Your scarf is gorgeous!! I'm kind of liking it without the fringe, as is. But, I think it'd look beautiful either way. Awesome job! Take care, Lynda! :-)

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

You've got a good tactic for choosing who to root for! I like it!

I vote for no fringe. I think it may take the focus away from the piece.

 
At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love them olympic athletes! I don't care what their names are, as long as they are wearing those really tight get-ups that fit in the areas just so. Like maybe those speed skaters, or the luge guys. Yup. Tight get-ups.

Your post had me cracking up!

I don't do fringe either, only because sooner or later it ends up coming apart. But if you like it do it, seems you've got a groove going there that is doing your scarf good. Love it!

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Georg!

That reminds me of the name "Jeff" spelled with a "G"...the way it is spelled "G-E-O-F-F"...my friend and I in high school saw that name written down somewhere and we had no idea that it was pronounced "Jeff", so we decided buddy's name was pronounced "Gee-off" with a hard G...like the french name Guy.

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Marion said...

Whew, nice to know I'm not the only one who roots for the cute guys. I had to do it silently, though, since I was watching last night with 5 males (my boyfriend, my brothers, and a neighbor). :)

 
At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Georg is one of my favorite new names, too. I also like the name of the men's half-pipe contender, Anni Autti. Leave it to the Finns to have the best names! And I like your entrelac scarf much, much, especially the randomness. Don't fringe it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home