Saturday, January 28, 2006

Good News/Bad News

First, the good news. Instant Gratification Socks are finished! Here's the artsy-fartsy shot (albeit, slightly blurry - but hey, I was on my tiptoes, leaning over upside down to get the shot)...

and here they are in their natural habitat...







Specs: Hill Country Yarns, Instant Gratification Sock Yarn, color: BlueBonnet
One skein. Knit on two size 5 circs, in 5 days!
I didn't really have a pattern, but cast on 44 stitches kind of winged it from there, consulting a few different books.

They may be a teensy bit small, because I may be a teensy bit impatient and, besides, I was racing Kaity. The Bud came in Thursday night and said, "what is this, a knit off?" - and well, the race was on.... Kaity won, but hey.... she was only making footies. I tried to send her to bed early so I could finish first, but she wasn't falling for that. At least that's my story...

All in all, they're very pretty, very soft, and very wearable. Love 'em. Wearing 'em right now.

Here's the sad part of today's story.... look away if you can't stand pooling, or sock blowouts.

Now, the pooling I don't mind at all. I'm weird that way. These are the 2nd pair of socks I ever knit, with leftover Manos from the hubby's hat - knit as slippers on size 7 DPN's. Me, I didn't every know what "pooling" was back then, or that it was a "bad thing." I remember saying, "Hey, check out the cool pattern the yarn makes!"

Anyway, they make great slippers, but I obviously didn't know how to finish a toe, because I wore them about twice, put them back in the cupboard, then the evil sock elves came and unraveled the toe while I was sleeping.

I've been looking at them, and I'm not even sure how to fix them, because I'm not quite sure how the elves unraveled them.... but I'm gonna give it a go, because, pooling and all, I like 'em.

Well - I'm off to elf-proof the house, and I think I'll mosey on down to our local, TINY library and see if they have any knitting books. Kaity says she's checked, and they don't, but you know kids.... I'll just go check for myself.

13 Comments:

At 2:50 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I like your new socks and your Manos socks! I wonder if you were attacked by the stash weasels lately talked about on Yarn Harlot??

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Hmmm, I don't know why the elves would bother such bootiful socks. Very naughty elves, indeed.

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All your socks always turn out great - and did from the beginning, evidently. Pooling doesn't bother me either, except sometimes. Manos is just so pretty it doesn't matter. I'm not knowledgeable about sock knitting so much, but I agree with christine. It seems like a straightforward seaming would do it!

 
At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first pair I made were wool and they got abused by a moth. What is it about the toes - moth's must like toe jam - ew! I've never done a repair job either but I plan to try on these by attaching the leftover bit of yarn (yeah for keeping leftovers no matter how small!) and then use a crochet hook and pretend like I'm picking up dropped stitches. That's the only way I can think of to do it. Good luck and great job on the bluebonnets!
Marsha

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

The IG socks are fantabulous! I also like the pooled ones...the pattern is neat! Sorry about the sock elves. I'm hoping they don't know I'm doing socks yet...

 
At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your new socks are great, and I love the tippy-toe shot.

Now those Manos slipper things, I kinda like the way they have that "shazzzamm!" thing going on! Very cool pooling indeed.

Good luck fixing that toe problem, and the library thing too. Ours is the same here, it smells like musty books. So lame.

 
At 12:57 AM, Blogger chris said...

Your Blue Bonnet socks are beautiful!!! Love, love them! And what's not to love about instant gratification? ;-) Those gremlin elves are evil!! Why would they disturb such gorgeous Manos socks? Well, at least they've got good taste. ;-) I love the funky colors on your slippers! I'm sure they can be salvaged with a little bit of seaming. And definitely check out your library...hopefully, you'll find something that catches your eye! Have a great weekend, Lynda! :-)

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On your tippee toes and upside down??? Sheesh girl, I'd have fallen "plunk" on my head!!!

Beautiful, beautiful socks Lynda!!! And TWO of them, no less!!! Off to check out Kaity's!

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

Darn those elves! Maybe if you knit them some teensy tinsy socks of their own they'd leave yours alone??

Feel free to come with Kaity when she comes to pick up her box o'needles and yarn and browse the LC Lending Library of books. I..uh...get kinda obsessed and go on buying sprees sometimes. (duh..no!)

 
At 6:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the same toe issues and had to pick up as many stitches as I could and attach leftover yarn to fix it. They are great now thankfully.

Also, I got another pair done!

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Sonya said...

Love those socks! I never would have thought to photograph them that way. (That is why I am not known as arty.) Hope your library has some knitting books. Give them some requests if they don't have any. I almost always buy books requested because I know at least one person will check them out.

 
At 3:38 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Oh my! Those colors in the Blue Bonnet socks are beautiful. I love blue and green. And you can't beat socks in five days. :)

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Acornbud said...

Those are very beautiful socks. I love the how the light color pops out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home