Thursday, January 26, 2006

Just The Facts, Ma'am

I don't like misrepresentation - or someone trying to fool me into something being better than it really is. I like genuine. Now - everyone tries to play up their good points, that's okay, but don't lie to me.

When I was in high school I remember a time when "playing up my good points" failed, miserably. One of my very best friends in HS and I used to go cruising in LC's Camaro every Friday night with all the cool kids, which I was not, but would have liked to have been. Anyway, we'd cruise up and down Main Street and look for hot guys and hot cars.... but the trouble was it was all the same kids we went to school with pretty much, and they already knew who drove what, and who was hot and who was not.... so it didn't really get me very far in the social world.

So, one night we had LC's CB radio (yep, it was the 70's, and I'm old now) and, I figured this was a cool way to be incognito and put myself out there without anyone really knowing who I was. I really had no plan on what I was gonna do if anyone was ever really interested in my "new persona," which really didn't matter because I got shot down my first time I put it out there.

See, I was gonna make up a cool and sexy "handle," something to do with my green eyes... So I make up the handle "Emerald Eyes." I mean, come on, what guy's NOT gonna want to meet me with a cool name like that. So, I get on the radio, and they ask who I am, and I mysteriously say "this is Emerald Eyes...." and the guy on the other end shoots back... "Hemorrhoids! - what kind of name is that?" I never got on the CB again, and never tried to pretend I was someone I wasn't ever again.

(LC - do you remember this??)

So, even here in blogland, where I could pretend to be anyone I want to.... pretty much what you see/read is what you get. I don't have the time and stamina to live a double life, and I'm not a good liar.

This is why I love knitting blogs - you get the straight scoop on yarn and patterns. If it's cra*, someone will tell you, and you don't end up wasting your time and money. And if it's great, everyone will jump on the bandwagon. I have yet to be fooled by a blogger. I like getting the genuine truth on products!

So, in the interest of full disclosure, and how much I am loving knitting a fast sock, here's a close up pic of my new (and finished) Hill Country Yarn sock next to my Trekking XXL Jaywalker (which I'm also loving), so that you can see the difference in the gauges. This is making a lovely, soft, functional and thick sock, and I'll be wearing them like crazy with my clogs. They weren't pulling your leg when they named it "Instant Gratification" sock yarn. Love this yarn.

And, here's a plug for my favorite product line, L'Occitane. Do you guys know about this stuff? I LOVE IT. And, for me, this is saying something, because I am the generic/whatever's-on-sale queen. Cheap. But I cannot live without their honey/shea butter soap, even take it when I travel, and this tin of pure shea butter is a lifesaver for chapped hands. It has been cold and dry, and WINDY here... and I LOVE this stuff. It makes my hands soft and, best, isn't wet, sticky, etc, so immediately after you can pick up your knitting!!! They don't know me from Adam, and this is an unsolicited commercial plug... but if you have dry skin, try it, it's the best.

Well - hopefully after watching ER tonight I'll have a pair of socks to show you tomorrow. Ok, well, I'm not gonna lie to you, maybe by Saturday, at the latest...

Emerald Eyes - signing off.

17 Comments:

At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The socks are looking fab Lynda!! Love the color!!

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Ooo, thanks for the heads up on the hand salve. I'm still searching for the miracle cure for my chapped hands.

 
At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Both socks are just lovely - it's interesting to see the gauges next to each other. Good idea!

Thanks for the tip on L'Occitane! I get dry hands too. I'll splurge on certain items, IF I know it is worth it. But I have to have that tip first.

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Wow, that sock was pretty darn instant, wasn't it? Thanks for the salve tip - like many others, I'm searching for the miracle cure that will cure my dry hands and not make them itchy (which Aveda does). This sounds promising.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

The socks are great! I love them both!

Ok...I have a come back with regard to the "hemerrhoid" thing. When he said "what kind of name is that" you could have said something like "because when you get to know me, I'm a real pain in the butt..." LOL...sorry, I crack me up!!

Can't wait to see the pic of your instant gratifications!

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

Do I remember?...oh my gosh...I remember that and SO much more. Remember how we always made Debbie Mitchell sit in the back so we could scam the dudes the best? Or the time I did a donut in the rain (by accident, but I wouldn't admit it)? I thought you and Debbie would break my ear drums screamin'!!

I LOVE L'Occitane too. I use the 15% shea butter foot cream for every dry, parched part of my body..

and, for your reading public...I wanted to say thanks for the recommendation you gave for Philosophy Grace products. I'm now a "Pure Grace" girl.

Ok, so now how do we deny to our kids all the crazy stuff we did?? (or shall we just let them find out for themselves?)

Hugs,

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

LC - you bet I remember doing the donut in the rain. I thought we were gonna die.

And, hey - cheese it! - my mom reads this blog!!

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

Yeep!...and your mom talks to mine on occasion! (funny, at "our age" we are more worried about our moms finding out than our kids!)

Whew!..we survived!

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

OK - I have to know more about this yarn! Is the only place that carries is discount yarn? 'Cause I haven't heard the best things about their service. Dying to have some instant gratification.... :)

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger chris said...

I am dying laughing over here, Hemorrhoids!! That is TOO funny!! Yep, the upward social mobility cruise was pretty standard fare during my high school days, too. Luckily, none of my friends had any CB's. ;-) I totally agree with you about loving knit bloggers for their honesty. They don't screw around with knitting! I really love your new sock- the colors are fabulous. And thanks for the tip on L'Occitane! I actually have some of their soap, but didn't know about the shea butter. I have really bad eczema, especially on my hands, so I'll look into that. I love that you can pick the knitting right back up! The stuff I use now is so goopy and greasy and totally non-yarn friendly- yuck! Take care and Over and out, Emerald Eyes. ;-)

 
At 4:21 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

I love reading your blog. I especially like the way your pictures are creatively "posed". You always make me laugh, too.

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Sonya said...

Lovely sock yarn! I'll have to try L'Occitane. I have a crack in my thumb that is just throbbing. I don't think kids cruise anymore, do they? It was such a huge deal when I was in hs. We had a lot of fun!

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

Breaker one nine. That's too funny! I'm also from the CB generation, but never had the nerve to actually get on and talk. It was fun to listen though. Love the socks. Catch you on the flip side.

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I just remembered a CB story...

Several years ago, I had this stereo that had a record player on it. Well, I was mostly using it at this point for the clock, radio and it's alarm. When I would set the alarm, I could hear signals from some radio station playing music (I think it was the CBC but not sure) faintly. Unfortunately, it also picked up the signal from the CB of the man across the street. I could only hear his side of the conversation though.

One night I heard him talking about the vacation he was on, his wife having their baby in a few months and much more. It was annoying...it was close to midnight and I had to get up early the next morning.

That wasn't the worst of it though. One Saturday morning (I had set the alarm for around 9 or 10am)around 6:30 or 7:00 am I hear this "voice" that was very loud and sounding like satan might sound. It was breathing heavy and said "Lost sheep to shepherd, come in shepherd"...with no reply. It kept repeating and repeating. It woke me out of sleep and scared me to death. My heart was beating so loud and I swear if I jumped upnear the ceiling. Turns out it was the man across the streets son calling him on the CB...for an hour. Man I was mad. Told my father I should go over there ask him about his vacation, his wife's pregnancy, and the stupid lost sheep and shepher...let him know he was on the wrong frequency...I didn't though. I got rid of the stereo and got a digital clock radio.

Oh, and just to clarify things...I was only kidding about the whole pain in the butt thing...just so you know I wasn't being serious. You're much too nice a lady to be a pain in the butt! Hope you didn't take it personally, and if so, please forgive me.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

And this one is to apologize for the really long comment above...lol

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Katie said...

My mom loves L'Occitane too. I haven't tried any o their stuff yet.

Your socks are looking great! Where did you get your Trekking? I have yet to find any around here.

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Donna Boucher said...

Thank you for sharing that wonderful website and sock yarn....so pretty!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home