Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Random Is Hard!

I'm kind of beginning to wonder if my idea of putting in random blocks of color was a good idea, or if I should have thought it out further. For someone who eats M&M's by color and French fries by size, maybe random isn't my forte. I am beginning to obsess over this.

Where should the next block be, which color should be next? As you can see, it's not even all that random - I don't have two consecutive rows with solid blocks. I don't know... I'm obsessing....

I think the problem is, as much as I love the yarn and the colors in it - I really wanted it to make blocks of color on its own. I should have thought this out better when I made the yarn purchase in the first place, but the lady at the yarn store assured me it would be "perfect" for entrelac. Perhaps were were not thinking of the same "entrelac."

Oh well, it's too late now, and it is what it is. It's about 2-1/2 feet long, and I'm not one to start over when I'm invested this far into a project. I keep telling myself maybe I'll make another Lady E later, one with Noro, something I know will make "blocks."

The truth is - I have never knit the same thing twice, with the exception of socks. I was always going to make another Sitcom Chic, and do the eyelets right. I was going to make another Branching out, for me this time. I was going to make another Ella, but bigger. Truthfully, the chances are slim and none that any of these will ever come about. I bore too easily to repeat projects.

So, I'm going to stick with it as it is. Yesterday and the day before, I LOVED it, today, not so much. Maybe I'm just being wishy-washy - I'm good at that. Maybe it's that it really is pretty - just not what I envisioned.

Hmmmm, I've just got to love it for what it is, not what I thought it would be, and look at it again tomorrow. Maybe I'll love it again. I hope so. It really is pretty.

14 Comments:

At 10:51 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

Yes, it really is pretty. I like the randomness, but then I don't choose french fries by their size. (Do you really do that, or are you exaggerating a bit?)

And you don't have to do another right away. Go on to something else, then when the urge strikes, entrelac again.

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Lynda said...

Mom - yep, I really do eat my fries by size... sad, I know...

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Jillio said...

i think you're being too hard on yourself. for your first entrelac project, it looks marvelous. it has a lot of color and interesting characteristics with the solid blocks of color to break up the variegation of the main yarn.
you didn't know how the project was going to go when you started; it seems like you kind of went with what you felt.
but if you really don't like it and don't think you'll wear it...i'm sure you will figure out what to do with it.
sorry, that's not very helpful...i just really think it looks lovely and you should continue without second-guessing yourself.

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger chris said...

I think it's gorgeous, Lynda, both yesterday, the day before AND today. ;-) Maybe it's not the entrelac you'd initially envisioned, but it's still beautiful, nonetheless. And your whole un-random insertion of random blocks of color bit cracks me up! Random or not, it all looks fantastic. Remember the time you thought your Essential Striped Sweater only looked good by the tub? ;-) I think it's the same syndrome- trust us, Lade E is GORGEOUS!!! Take care! :-)

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Lynda said...

Chris - LOL!! Oh yeah, forgot about my "tub sweater" there for a second. Oy, maybe I'm just totally off my rocker in more ways than we know!!

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Sonya said...

There are people who don't eat their fries by size? I'm largest to smallest. You?

As much as randomness freaks me out, I like the solid color blocks. I think it's artistic. Lady E is gorgeous.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger amylovie said...

Maybe this project will be cathartic for you. Maybe it's the Big Guy's way of saying you need some randomness in your life.

Amy

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I think it looks lovely, and I saw knit on!

I'm not the person to ask about randomness. I organize my M&M's by color before eating them. Sad, I know.

 
At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whee - french fries by size? That's cute :)

I think it looks lovely! Don't change a thing.

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Jen said...

ok non random lady... you're just going to have to use a random number generator to assign colors and which block to put them in. It's still nice and orderly in a non-orderly way...

Now, I'm off to beg Kaity to post a pic of her Inigo Montoya t-shirt. Thanks for the tip!

Oh, and now that I'm afraid of your floor, what exactly IS on your car floor?

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I think it looks great! If it bothers you, you can always gift it to someone who's a little wilder with their french fries. ;)

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I think it looks great. I love all the colours that are in it.

As for french fries, I don't think I eat them according to size but with M & M's or smarties, I do group them by colours and I don't eat the red ones last...I eat the purple ones last.

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Why don't you assign the squares numbers and try rolling dice to see where to put them? Something random, but nothing you have to decide.

 
At 6:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's so pretty Lynda! I like the random blocks here and there. Plus, I like the way the yarn varigations change directions with every square, it's so cool! No, it's not like the Noro yarn, but it's very pretty, fun and unique.
I love it. Keep going!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home