Friday, February 10, 2006

Things You Don't Appreciate Until They're Gone

You know.... how, back in the day... before kids, when I busted my butt at Jazzercize because I thought I was "fat" at 130 lbs. Give me a break...... I would KILL to be 130 again.... and it would be skinny. I wasted all that time, not appreciating what I long for now.....

I still have "test pants" from way back when.... you know, pants that are a million years old in your closet - just to prove that you actually did wear them at one time. My teeny, tiny, skinny teenage daughter can't even fit into my "test pants." Those are the 118 lb pants. Talk about never-never land!!!

And this - the Super Yarn Mart. Are these still even around? Ask anyone my age who grew up around here and they will tell you childhood horror stories of the Super Yarn Mart. The HUGE (I'm sure it was the size of a football field - at least that's the way I remember it) yarn store every kid of the 60's and 70's remembers being drug through... for hours at a time. The HUGE, boring, bright pink Super Yarn Mart.

Ok - I may exaggerate, but only a little. Such vivid memories. Mom would announce where we were headed and in unison we'd all whine, loudly "Nooooo, not the Super Yarn Mart!! Please.... we don't want to go!!!!" It was pure kid torture. Wandering around acres and acres of endless aisles of boring yarn. It was kid hell. And, of course, all this with our "hands in our pockets." Mom was big on keeping our hands in our pockets.

It really was the MOST dreaded place, I don't think we hated going anywhere as much as we hated going to the stupid, big, pink Super Yarn Mart. At least when we had to go to the market we could entertain ourselves by going down to the end of the meat counter and grossing out at the beef tongue. "Ewwwww, told you no one wants it, it's still there..." you could even do that with your hands in your pockets.

Now, I know I'm only exaggerating a little, because YEARS later, we were all sitting around one night, with my sister and her husband, and my sister or I brought up the kid hell of the Super Yarn Mart, and BOTH my husband and hers (both of whom grew up within driving distance of the dreaded Super Yarn Mart) both loudly moaned, "Ohhhh, the Super Yarn Mart - my mom used to drag us there.... I HATED that place!"

You know where I'm going with this..... the Super Yarn Mart is no more... at least in our neck of the woods. And I'd KILL to go back to the Super Yarn Mart. It would be heaven.... acres of yarn (I'm still sticking to my story that the place was HUGE).... Come on - "factory direct to me!!" - what's not to LOVE? Discount yarn to touch and buy. (Well, you could touch it if you were a paying adult customer, not a kid who had to keep her hands in her pockets). You didn't even have to wait for it to come in the mail! I'm digging back in the memory files right now, in what's left of what used to be a rather competant mind, trying to picture the yarn, what did they have???, - but of course, I could have cared less back then.... so I don't really remember.

Oh well, like weighing 130 lbs, they're both just fuzzy memories now.

OK - on another note...., for all of you who doubted that I could be random..... you were right.... I caved.

Yes.... that's graph paper. The solid boxes are note the placement of the "random" solid squares I've already knit into my LadyE scarf.... and I've mapped out the placement of the rest.... I couldn't take the stress.

I'm much happier now, though..... and I am still picking the colors at random... that I can handle.

17 Comments:

At 8:44 AM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Ohhhh I would love to have a Super Yarn Mart! I don't think they had those up here when I was a kid in the 70's...or 80's...my mom never knit (though she does know how) so I have never experienced that. I'm sure with my yarn addiction, if I had kids they'd think it were torture too because I'd drag them to Michaels or wherever and make them keep their hands in their pockets too lol.

 
At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch. Thanks for the memory, sis. Do you even know how many times Mom dragged me there by myself when you were in school? It would be fun to go back now, though, wouldn't it?
I've been loving your thoughts on randomness over the last few days. It reminded me that I'm going to need your help arranging furniture soon - you how I love symmetry!
But the scarf is looking great. Beautiful colors! And very "out of the box".

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

Peace of mind is a good thing ;)

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Chris said...

I've never even heard of Super Yarn Mart. Now I'm kinda jealous of your childhood. ;)

And I can TOTALLY relate to the weight thing. But here's the funny thing - with exercising, now I can weigh 160 and still fit into the jeans I used to wear at 130... Nice.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Noey D. said...

I remember Super Yarn Mart!! There was one close by, and my mom dragged me there too! Gosh, that brings back memories!!

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Jillio said...

i used to have two sets of clothes: in-wrestling season, and off-season. sizes 5 & 7, respectively.
hey, i could fit your "test pants"...and about two years ago, i would've fit your "fat" jazzercise pants. the heaviest i've ever been to date was 132. disclaimer: i'm a short asian that will grow wider but not taller, and when i am in my golden years, look like i'm 30 yrs. old one day and wake up looking like i'm pushing 100 the next. factor in the hawaiian sun, and i will look like a wrinkly piece of leather with white hair. ;P
Super.Yarn.Mart. holy shamoly, i would LOVE that!
and look at you with your graph paper! ahaha! i guess random is as random does. whatever you do, i think your lady E will turn out awesome! :)

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I'm still chuckling over you and your sibs groaning over the Super Yarn Mart. Whenever I go into a Michael's, JoAnn, and the like and head for the yarn, my son says, "What do you need more yarn for?" Heheh

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

Who knew random could be so hard?

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Carrie K said...

I'm keeping my test pants because it's possible I'll get back into them.

We didn't have Super Yarn Store in Northern California! But then, my mother sews, not knits.

Random is good. Random entrelac scarf is pretty. Planned random is still random......wait. No it isn't.

Eat your fries by size? Group your m&m's by color? Not even. I do count my steps sometimes though. And long, long LONG before the whole "walk a thousand steps a day" exercise thing came out although it does make a good cover.

 
At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think yarn stores were invented when I was a kid in the 50s-60s at least where I'm from in central CA. I grew up in a teeny tiny farming town that have a 5 & dime store - not a Woolworth's even! Although the BIG city 15 miles away had a Woolworth's. Mom sewed. I don't even remember where she bought the tiniest bits of fabric that she made ALL my clothes from. Test size pants - never heard of that!! I think clothes have gotten bigger. And if I were to weigh 115 and wore a size 5, like I did when I was a freshman in HS - I would be an anorexic poster child!! I'm envious of you jumping right in with the entrelac. I want to learn it and think now that I will wait until I score some Noro yarn - it does all the randomness for you - I would be crummy at that!!
Marsha

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

Heh, what was that Jazzercise teacher's name? All I can remember is that she was a wild child for SURE! I was never better than when we were doing that...can you believe we wore tights and leotards? Feh.

 
At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think we had those around here...Zayre's were prevalent and that's where I hated to go

 
At 12:55 AM, Blogger chris said...

Sadly, I still keep my test pants, too. They actually fit after Bossy and pre-Stinky, but post-Stinky, man, nothing's EVER been the same. ;-) Super Yarn Mart sounds like HEAVEN!! I don't think we had one of those around here, but I know we had a fabric store of the super large- major-discount variety, and my siblings and I HATED going there. Especially because my mom is the most indecisive person on the planet! Imagine looking at the same two bolts of fabric over....and over...and over...and ;-) You're too funny with your unrandomness!! Can't wait to see Lady E- take care, Lynda! :-)

 
At 4:13 AM, Blogger Sonya said...

I don't remember any Super Yarn Marts from my childhood, but I'd love one now! For my mom it was fabric stores. Hours and hours in fabric stores.

Thank goodness the randomness has passed. I was starting to sweat. ;o) Can't wait to see it!

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Dusa said...

Totally jealous of the Super Yarn Mart but since my mom didn't knit or crochet (she did needlepoint), I wouldn't have gotten to experience one anyway.

And I'm so with you on the randomness that is is not random. It makes my brain hurt. My RL is random enough, I don't need it in my knitting.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger amylovie said...

All together now...."Ahhhh, Yarn Mart!" Sigh.... Sounds wonderful.

Amy

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger SAM said...

Super Yarn Mart - there was one on Beach Blvd. in Buena Park. My mom didn't do needlework, but our dear family friend who taught me to knit and crochet shopped there all the time. I only went there once or twice and you are right - they were HUGE!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home