Thursday, March 09, 2006

It Has Its Perks

Say what you want about California - it does have its perks. Like beautiful produce, all year round. I live and grew up in a more rural part of So Cal, around orchards and fields. Orchards of lemons, oranges and avocados; fields of celery, peppers, broccoli, lettuce, beans, and STRAWBERRIES! I don't even have to buy lemons or avocodos anymore, I have friends who ranch both. I'm spoiled and blessed.

My dad is famous for picking ANYTHING up off the side of the road, hitchhikers, tools, toolboxes, the girls have great sleeping bags (yes, we took them straight to the cleaners first), but especially produce. I remember when I was a kid eating what we now refer to as "roadkill produce." It'd be dinnertime and all of the sudden we'd be having broccoli, "your dad found it on the side of the road on his way home." Hey- the stuff just bounces out of trucks, it's still "perfectly good" - and free! We still talk about dad bring home assorted road kill vegetables.

Now, the hubby, people BRING him stuff. Yesterday a customer gave him a flat of beautiful strawberries! Daughter #2 is in heaven, they're her favorite! Mmmmm

Now, don't hate, at least I didn't post a picture of the lobsters another customer brought him yesterday! They were delicious, but lobsters aren't as photogenic.

But, between eating awesome So Cal delicacies in the dead of winter, I have been getting some knitting done on Rogue. I finished the cool kangaroo pocket and have almost finished the cables on the sides. Next, onto the hood! Wish me luck! - so far so good. Still loving it.

20 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

What a good reminder of the fact that we live in Paradise. I can walk out my back door and pick oranges, avocados and passion fruit when they're in season, and today...?...at 50 degrees?...well, shucks, that's our DEAD OF WINTER!!

Your Rogue is looking beautiful! That's such a nice pink!

 
At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't even care for strawberries - but they are just so pretty! I stopped by that honey farm on the way out to your place - it was so great to buy locally made products!

I'm loving that Roque yarn more and more as I see it knit up. It has such a wonderful tweediness! But now would be a bad time to buy wool :)

 
At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is wow. Jealous! My mouth is watering! You are so lucky!

Your Rogue is going FAST. You are a super knitter Lynda! I could use you to help me knit my Demi.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Shar said...

Love the yarn, the color and your progress. you'll be finished in no time.

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Those strawberries look so delicious! MMmmmm, must go to store...

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Sonya said...

OK, I have produce envy. My dad is in Florida and was just telling me last night about all the produce he got at the farmer's market. You people are killing me! Come on spring. Your rogue looks great! I think I have Rogue envy too.

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger chris said...

Your Rogue looks wonderful! It's knitting up very pretty in pink. ;-) And your strawberries and lobster are killing me! What a treat! While mango, papaya and lychee are quite abundant here, I miss good berries and peaches/nectarines. When I was younger, my family lived in San Jose and I remember driving around on the weekend and picking up all kinds of wonderful produce at the roadside stands. It's so nice to have such great local produce! Take care, Lynda! :-)

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Donna Boucher said...

Oh my goodness!!! We have strawberries once a year. The third week in June. Any you should see how tiny they are!!!!

Can Katie come over and help you eat your strawberries? It is one of the only things she likes to eat ;o)

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Amy from Ezekiel's Garden said...

I always thank God for those blessings like the strawberries. I hope you guys enjoy them! :) I can't wait for berry season here! :)

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, if they were only dipped in chocolate!

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Marion said...

Mmm... strawberries. And all that other wonderful SoCal fruit.
I just looked out the window and I can see our kumquat tree, full of ripe fruit. Yum!

 
At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow. Your "roadkill produce" tale brought back sweet memories of my own Northern CA years, collecting roadkill tomatoes on my bike and making salsa. When I moved from CA to VA, I nearly died of sticker shock at the cost of produce in the stores. Even here in HI, it ain't cheap, unless it's pineapple, papaya and bananna!

Oh yeah, Rogue is gorgeous!

Kim
http://ellapoodle.livejournal.com/

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Hmm, which is yummier... those strawberries or the Rogue...

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Mmmmmm....mouth watering strawberries!! You are sooo lucky!

The knitting is looking fantabulous!

 
At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your strawberries are SO Project Spectrum!!!

I remember buying strawberries at the fruit stands when I lived in Cali too. Your roadkill fruit story is hilarious!!!

And Rogue. AUGH, I'm speechless!

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger amylovie said...

Oooooo...yummy!

Amy

 
At 6:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My hubby, daughter, and son are lovers of strawberries, so I can appreciate how you all have come across them. They are not cheap. SMile.
Glad that I came across your blog. Rogue is coming along beautifully in a nice blend of burgundies and reds. Can't wait to see the finished project.
Knit on!

 
At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm strawberries! My biggest cat LOVES the strawberries! The hood on rogue was my very favoritest part. That whole pattern is fun. So nice I made it twice.

 
At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmm strawberries!! I'm still laughing at road-kill produce!!!

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger jennifer said...

oh yum yum YUM!!!!! i can SMELL the sweet strawberries all the way here in ohio - soooooooo jealous, but glad you can enjoy them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home