Monday, February 27, 2006

A Rogue?

Get Me - more yarn!!

Rogue: A variation from the standard varietal type.

I've been deviating from my "standard varietal type" (cheap) lately when it comes to buying yarn. I'm actually buying it, for FUTURE projects! Or, in the case of this weekend, because the hubby gave me money for the specific purpose of buying yarn, just for fun.

Anyway, usually when I buy yarn for a project, I don't buy the "suggested yarn." Last week, I'm pretty sure for the very first time, I actually ordered the suggested yarn for a project. I usually substitute yarn because the suggested yarn is too pricey for me. I still do not have the confidence to spend $80+ on something I'm not sure will fit, or I'll even like when it's finished. Many times, I'm just a rebel and don't like being told what to buy, and have my own ideas - which don't always work out, but I've been pretty lucky so far.

Anyway, I've been wanting to make Rogue for a long time now.... and after you were all so encouraging that I could be Extra Spicy if I really wanted to, I figured there was no time better than the present to tackle Rogue. And this time, I could actually afford the suggested yarn, and ordered it up from those great gals at KPixie. BEAUTIFUL color! Burgundy Heather, Bartlett Yarn.

However - I have to say, beautiful as it is, if I had been in a yarn store to buy it, I would have been tempted to substitute. This stuff is scratchy!! I guess I'm used to petting all that alpaca I bought over the weekend, or maybe it's because all the wool I've ever used is Merino, or a blend, and softer. This regular ol' wool is pretty darn rough - and a little smelly - but I'm gonna take their word for it that this is the right yarn for the project and stick with it - at least until it gives me a blister from knitting it or I can't stand the smell any longer! I've got it all spread out, airing out.... waiting for me - so maybe that'll help the sheepy smell. But I don't think it's getting any softer...

But first, as tempted as I am to start Rogue and see if I can figure out those cables, I have to finish Spring Fling... I still can't deviate that far from my "standard varietal type" and have two sweaters going at once. That's just crazy talk, and I'd start to twitch. Unfortunately, Spring Fling has been a little slow going lately. I hate it when I'm too busy to knit! All this yarn is starting to stare at me!

PS - Thanks for all you kind words for Kaity- I passed them on.... she's on the mend, but still doesn't have her "twinkle" back. It's been a long time since I had a barfing kid - gotta say - don't miss that ONE BIT! She better not have breathed on any of us!

15 Comments:

At 4:39 PM, Blogger Knittypants said...

Rogue is such a cool sweater. I am so glad you are going to make it. You will have to keep us updated on how you like the yarn one you start using it. I am thinking about using the same yarn for the sweater and I would be glad to hear your oppinions on it.

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I think the color you've chosen is gorgeous. I've heard Barlett's is a bit scratchy, but I think of rogue as a sweater that I'd wear a shirt underneath anyway.

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

I'm working on a Rogue - let me know if you have questions. But I think you're plenty spicy for this one.

The Barlett is a "real wool" - it'll hold the cables and the shape really well. And it's toasty warm. So maybe not the best for SoCal, but great for New England. It's definitely not next-to-the-skin soft, but I find that I can wear a short-sleeved shirt and be OK. You get used to it. (At least up here - it's been SO cold lately!)

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I love the color. Hmm, can you presoak the skeins in some wool wash and/or conditioner?

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Donna Boucher said...

Oh I love that sweater...it will look so pretty in pink :o)

 
At 3:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your bartlett yarn is the prettiest pink. I've read that it softens up and blooms after washing. And if you've knitted with merino, that's the best there is, next to cashmere.

 
At 4:58 AM, Blogger amylovie said...

The sweater is so beautiful, the stinky factor will be deemed worth it.

Amy

 
At 5:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're starting a stash... sh! I won't tell! I really like rogue too... I can't wait to see your progress

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

The wool will probably be good for holding the shape and setting off the pattern well. You will notice that the picture shows it worn with a turtleneck underneath. That will help with the itch factor. But then there is the swelter factor to consider. Anyway, it is an absolutely beautiful pattern. I know you are spicy enough to handle it.

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Sonya said...

I have been very tempted by Rogue. Such a great pattern, but I hate hoods. Long hair + hood + Sonya = back-of-the-neck rats nest. That color you bought is really gorgeous. Hope the yarn softens up for you. I'm looking forward to watching your progress!

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Bear Knits said...

That's such a pretty pink! I can't wait to see how Rogue turns out.

Is it too late to join 'Count Your Socks'?

 
At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just caught up on your last few posts. Glad Kaity is feeling better. I hate it when my kids are sick. Your new yarn (not blue) looks so nice. The color's probably not true, but on my computer it looks really pretty. Hopefully it softens up, and smells better, too. Your Rogue is going to be great!

 
At 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's going to be fun! Love the color. Does it smell sheepy and straight from the barns? Yummy.
Maybe it won't be scratchy after a good soaking?

Good Luck!

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger Lorette said...

You can definitely do this one! Just don't get freaked out by the number of pages in the pattern. She "talks" you through every last step.
I love that sheepy-smelling yarn! The Bartlett will be perfect!

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger Lynda said...

Bear Knits - it's never to late to join Count Your Socks - email me your link if you have a blog, and how to reach you, then just let me know how many socks you've knit- total up until 2006, and then how many this year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home