Thursday, February 16, 2006

An Old FO On the Go

Can you tell I have no new knitting content to show you? I keep hauling out old stuff..... well, the entrelac scarf just looks like more of the same scarf - even I'm getting bored at this point. But, I'm on the home stretch. Maybe I'll finish it tonight. Thursdays is a good TV night. Maybe ER won't be a rerun - maybe I actually won't fall asleep in the middle of it.

Anyway - this is to prove to you that I actually wear what I knit (most of it, anyway). Here's my Essential Stripe, going out the door on the way to Bible Study. Bonus - they'll be impressed, I'm the only one who knits, so their an easy crowd, in knitting terms.

The last few days the weather has started to cool a little (FINALLY). So, this morning we're in the car on the way to school and, poor Kaity- gotta love her, the conversation went something like this:

Kaity: Dah!!! It's 46 degrees outside, I'm gonna freeze! I can't believe I have to go to school and we almost have a snowflake! (explanation here, in my car we have a readout of the outside temp, and if it gets cold enough a little snowflake appears next to the temp to warn you of "icy conditions." We had the car for three years before we ever even new we had that feature - and we've only seen it once - and we were way out of town where it really gets cold - so that's our criteria for "really cold")..... anyway.....

Me: You've been moaning for weeks about how it's too hot to wear anything you knit! Why don't you have on a hand-knit scarf?

Kaity: I don't have any scarves I've made for ME, I gave them all away, and I never finish mine!

Me: (chuckle, nice and warm in my Essential Stripe)

Kaity: I should be wearing a hat! I have lots of hats!

Me: Why aren't you?

Kaity: Dah! I didn't know it was gonna be this cold!

yes..... "this cold." We are major California weather wimps. 46 degrees and we're whipping out all the hand knits - well those of us who remember, anyway.

Actually, at about 2:00 it'll heat up to 70-something, Kaity will be fine without her scarf and hat, and I'll be peeling off the Essential Stripe and putting back on the standard issue Old Navy tee.

But, hey - it's supposed to be "cold" again tomorrow!

15 Comments:

At 9:35 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

It's cold here too. My son commented on it this morning. We Californians are so spoiled.

Your essential stripe is awesome!

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm always to see FOs in the wild! I just love that purple! It turned out really well.

And as to wearing handknits when it's "cold", we So Calians take what we can get!

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Hee hee - we'd be in shorts!! (I'm in Minnesota.) Tomorrow the high is supposed to be 0F and tomorrow night is supposed to be -16F. :)

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Sonya said...

well, this is just weird. We're supposed to have a high of 59 today and we're currently experiencing a thunderstorm. A rare beast, the Feb. Indiana thunderstorm.

Essential stripe looks just lovely. I'm a new enough knitter that FO actually being worn is still a thrill.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger amylovie said...

46 degrees is downright frigid in Texas too.

Amy

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Ruth said...

yea, we're experiencing interesting whether too.. and storm is supposed to roll in this weekend, and lately they've been predicting highs in the 50's, lows in the 30's in the next 5 days or so. and that's cold for me... having grown up in the mild-weathered bay area, i normally would like things in the mid-70's. but this is cold! brrr!!!!

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

It's 48 degrees here, and we're all running around outside wihtout coats - because it's so WARM!

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger chris said...

46 degrees and I'd be bundled up like a mummy! Thermal underwear and everything! Man, it's been "getting down" to the low 60's at night and I've been FREEZING!! My wool socks have been in overdrive mode- I've got to make myself another pair so I can wash the one I've been wearing. ;-) Your Essential Stripe looks fantastic- and hey, you're not even by the bathtub! ;-) Just kidding, you know how gorgeous I think it is. And hey, it sounds like we've got the same Old Navy wardrobe, too! Take care, Lynda! :-)

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

kindred spirits, Candsmom... kindred spirits!

 
At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog and your daughter's,too but; Cold! You have no idea what I would give for 46! I'm in Michigan and we had no school today, because it's a blizzard!! I want to be in CA, too.

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

Arieta - I know, we're major wimps! Stay warm and knit wool!!

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

When I was a teenager, my mother knit me a beautiful Fair Isle cardigan in bulky yarn. I think I was only able to wear it only one time. She spent months making it. We warm climate knitters just have to give up the dream of wearing long sleeve sweaters and get into knitting short sleeve or sleeveless cotton duds. Either that or get into lacy items that breathe.

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

That sweater looks great! Love the colour! It was 'hot' here today (New Brunswick Canada)...it was something like +6 celcius (42F) so it was a little colder than what you had this morning. However, we have a bunch of that white fluffy stuffy lying on the ground...so after it's been COLD, the +6C/42F is hot!

 
At 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! It's cold here in Oregon as well. :o) I grew up in Michigan, so I laugh when people say it's SOOOOOO cold and it's 42 degrees, but it's been in the teens...I'll give you COLD for that. And I had to scrape my windsheild this morning. So, it must actually be cold.

I lov the sweater, btw. Looks great on you.

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Cheri said...

When I called my mom to let her know that I survived my surgery she told me about the snow that they had (in the Santa Maria area). Of course this last week we got up one morning to -9 with wind chills of -28, which is frigid even by Colorado standards! Had to wear my coat WITH the liner!

Love your sweater

 

Post a Comment

<< Home