Monday, February 20, 2006

Productive Weekend

Some weekends go by, and you wonder where they went. Some weekends go by and you feel like you got nothing done.

This weekend was one of those great weekends where I can't believe it was only two days

This weekend I: made homemade marshmallows, took pictures of my scarf and blogged, cleaned my house, went to my not-so-local yarn store, and then even my more not-so-local Ulta for much needed makeup, watched FOUR chick flicks, went to church, a 4-year-old's birthday party, knit, and let my daughter have a sleepover. Somewhere in all that the guys were even home for awhile (they decided to go motorcycle riding in the snow). It was one of those great, cold, rainy weekends, perfect for movies, a fire in the fireplace, hot chocolate, and knitting.

After reading about hot chocolate and marshmallows on Amy's blog, I just couldn't think of anything else for the last few days, and had to see if it was worth the trouble. And, what do you know, when I checked her blog yesterday, she had made her own marshmallows too! Check out these marshmallows! I made them about twice the size of a "regular" store bought marshmallow.... but the kicker is, the recipe said it would make 12 marshmallows!!! Now, those would have been huge marshmallows. I have some big mugs, but not THAT big!

Anyway, it was something different to do, they were easy to make, tasted good, and it's kind of cool to have hot chocolate with your own marshmallows floating on top...

While I was getting ready to check out at the N-S-LYS, with something completely picked out.... I noticed this new Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece. At least it was new to my LYS. In fact, she only had a few skeins on the counter and hadn't even unpacked it yet, and had to go get the "big box" out from the back for me to dig through. I picked the color Malibu Blue, for this project.

I think I must be getting better at picking nicer yarns, because I seem to be saying this a lot - I LOVE THIS YARN! It reminds me of Rowan Wool-Cotton, which is what I had originally intended to buy (what the pattern calls for), but that was a little pricey for me, so I was looking for a substitute. Instead of 50/50, this is 80% cotton, 20% Merino wool, but was very similar when I compared them side to side. I think it's gonna be a winner.

I may need to step out of my comfort zone in terms of color, though. When I got home and started knitting I realized I have already knit a sweater almost this exact same color! That one is a warm wool long sleeved sweater - so this can be it's summer counterpart.

One of the things I didn't get done this weekend was blog maintenance, like updating my tunes, and adding to my Finished Objects sidebar, etc. I can procrastinate forever when it comes to doing blog maintenance.... let's see how long it takes me to get around to it...

BTW, if I've tempted anyone to make marshmallows now... I just Googled "homemade marshmallows" to find a recipe, but this is the one I ended up with.

22 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said...

Oh man. You made marshmellows!!! By way of contrast, I cleaned up dog pee. And went to the Globetrotters in Anaheim (which is WAY too far from home, and has WAY too many cars in front of me)and had a birthday party for Sweetpea, and completely forgot to do laundry.

You rock. When, o'when will my feelings of inadequacy fade? LOL

(Maybe by the time we're 50? ..nah!)

 
At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love those kinds of weekends!!

Spring Fling is going to be adorable on yoU!

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

Now I'm dying to make marshmallows, too - where did you get the recipe?

That top is going to look lovely - and Cotton Fleece is one of my favorite yarns - a great workhorse and the price is right. I love it for kids' clothes.

 
At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your marshmallows look so good that I think I'll make some too. My kids will love 'em in the cocoa. Your new yarn looks yummy, too!

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Katie said...

I love Cotton Fleece! I used it to make a pumpkin hat for my son when he was a baby. It really stood the test of time, and it's so soft. I have been considering it for a new blankey for him, since his old one is wearing out in a bad way.

The marshmallows look really cool.

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Jen said...

huh... and here I thought you made tofu...

Cotton fleece, I've been meaning to try that, especially at that price and with the climate in SoCal... Will have to wait for the final verdict after you're done with a sweater with it.

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

Okay, so here I was, trying to distract myself from being hungry by blogging, when what should pop up on the screen but homemade marshmellows and hot chocolate. I had to get up and go get some diet Dr. Pepper before I could go on. I'll just have to find the recipe too. I'll be keeping Amy's girls this Saturday and Sunday. Maybe we'll make them together. Sounds like a sweet time.

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I love Cotton Fleece! I've made quite a few baby sweaters from it.

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

wow, homemade marshmellows!! gotta try that one of these days. perfect for a cold rainy day, with hot cocoa! =)
and yes, i echo other comments about cotton fleece - love it. i made a lace scarf out of it and gave it away to a friend and she raved about it. =)

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Sonya said...

I'm glad somebody had a productive weekend, because I totally didn't. I didn't even scoop that cat boxes and that's pretty much a must do chore. I've been perusing the Cotton Fleece colors for one of my next project. That blue looks lovely.

I had no idea one could make marshmellows. What the heck are they made of?

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Knittypants said...

Homemade marshmallows! I'm going to do that!

I love the color cotton fleece you chose, it's such anice yarn. I'm just finishing a sweater in it and I love it.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Donna Boucher said...

The only person I thought ever made homemade marshmallows was Martha Stewart!

I'm so glad they turned out!

They look wonderful!

Peeps next?

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I love homemade marshmellows! Yours look scrumptious.

You did have one busy weekend, but it sounded like fun!

 
At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And here I was thinking I did good by getting some tax stuff done. You make the rest of us look bad ;-)

That is so cool that you can make homemade marshmallows... I had no idea.

Can't wait to see your finished Spring Fling -- I think it will look beautiful on you.

 
At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yummmm, stop it! You are going to make me fat. No, fatTER. I must have marshmallows, those look so good.
Your weekend sounds like it was lovely!
Can't wait to see your sweater! It's a pretty pattern.

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Noey D. said...

Wow! Homemade marshmellows! I didn't even know that was possible! Very pretty blue. I've been wanting to try cotton fleece.

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger chris said...

Mmm...homemade marshmallows!! I saw Martha Stewart make a bunch a couple of years ago and they looked to-die-for. I'm not even that big of a marshmallow fan, but those homemade ones looked like heaven floating on chocolate- yum! I've read really nice reviews on Cotton Fleece, so I'll be interested in hearing how you like working with it. With the wool/cotton blend, it sounds perfect for climates like ours. BTW, I LOVE my Barescentuals, too!! It's pricey, but SO worth it! I don't know how I ever used liquid foundation before. Take care, Lynda! :-) (Do you realize I'm still obsessing about hot chocolate and marshmallows?!)

 
At 6:21 AM, Blogger amylovie said...

Homemade marshmallows.....yummy! Maybe I should whip some up for the girls.

Amy

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

Never heard of making marshmallows, but of course now I have to try it. Did you dredge yours in powdered sugar like the recipe suggests?

 
At 7:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - you really packed in the activities!! Sounds like a fun weekend though! I must try the marshmallows for my 6 year old granddaughter - who am I kidding - I need to make them for ME!! Pretty blue yarn - that sweater is cute. You're getting so prolific - I suppose we'll see it almost finished on tomorrow's post?!!
Marsha

 
At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear. Now I need to make marshmallows. NEED! NEED! NEED!

Yeah...just like your girls NEED unlimited access to all things internet...yeah.

But the recipe is gliten-free! Some store-bought marshmallows are not. I think that is bizarre. Why does a marshmallow need GLUTEN?

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Cheri said...

How fun!! One of these days perhaps I'll get brave enough to make marsmallows!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home