Thursday, November 30, 2006

Fetching

I haven't knit Christmas gifts before.... I don't like the pressure. Will I get it done in time? Will they like it? Will they appreciate it? Will they appreciate all the time and effort that went into it? Should that matter to me?

Maybe knitters should only knit for other knitters.

No.... wait, I did knit one scarf last Christmas, and the recepient appreciated it very much. I guess that's a good start.

I'm knitting 3 Christmas gifts this year. Two hats, and one set of wrist warmers. I should be able to handle that - especially since two of them are now done. Lucky for you - none of these people read my blog - so you get to see them and I have something to talk about.

I showed you one hat in the last post - the Fake Isle hat. It's going to be given in a gift exchange for the hubby's Christmas party this year. This is a bunch of guys who spend a lot of time out in the cold, and comment on his hand knit hats.... to which he always comments "love in every stitch, guys." So, it should be appreciated.

In the last post - the hat was modeled by Lily's boyfriend. He was quite enamored of the hat - so he's getting one, too.

These wrist warmers are for my niece. I'm not sure if she'll like them... but I'm gonna push the cashmere factor of the Cashmerino, and that may help. And, they're kind of the "go-with gift" to her real gift. I'm thinking they'll be well received.

I like them - a LOT! In fact, I need to wrap them quick, before I wear them out trying them on. I have a real urge to keep them for myself. No... I'll wrap them today.

Lucky for me, I have another ball of Cashmerino - and we're traveling to Texas for Christmas this year so this just may be my airplane knitting - after all the pressure is off and the Christmas knitting is done and wrapped. A present to myself. After all - it would be knitting for a knitter.

Pattern: Fetching, Knitty, Summer 2006
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Cashermino Aran, color 300201 - one ball, EXACTLY, not an inch to spare.
Modification: No picot edge, just a plain cast off.

20 Comments:

At 1:45 PM, Blogger mrspao said...

I love your Fetchings :) The colour is beautiful!

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't that Cashmerino just the BEST? I also like the Cashsoft...I made my mom socks for her birthday and she loved them.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger jillian said...

Those are gorgeous - and that is a lvoely color! You definately need to make yourself a pair :)

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Pixiepurls said...

How cool, I don't knit XMAS gifts either but I do think the fetchings are so quick it's hard to resist. I am thinking about getting some yarn when i go to europe over the holidays and just knitting while we travel etc and make a few of these.

 
At 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are braver than I am! I make a point of avoiding hand-knit gifts for Christmas (well, I've made everyone ornaments before, but I don't think that counts). Mostly because I am terrified of the time crunch. Which you don't have to worry about because you are nearly finished! Yay!

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Dave said...

They look great, and I love the colour. Yes, you definitely should make a pair for yourself. Just to see how they wear, you know. :-)

 
At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That color is wonderful and it looks great in the wrist warmers. I have that color in another yarn (DB alpaca?) and was thinking of knitting Fetching. Now I know I will!

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

Oh good, now I feel better. I decided not to knit gifts this year myself... glad to know others don't like the pressure either.

I will knit one scarf for my best friend who has been hinting for one. I did knit one fetching... loved it but it curled at the end. I'm going to try a regular bind off and see if that helps. I wouldn't mind knitting some of those for my nieces if I can get it to work better. Yours looks great.

BTW - Do you get to be a knitster on Monday?

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Sonya said...

I'm loving your Fetchings and I think I need to get some Cashmerino! I don't knit Christmas gifts either. I had my parents select some sock yarn a couple of Christmases ago. It took me a year to knit my mom's and I still haven't done my dad's. I'm a Christmas knitting failure.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger mary said...

They're gorgeous and look luxurious. My green cashmerino is waiting for me to finish my holiday knitting too. She's a lucky niece!

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

I see the ladybug now says 10 pounds lost! Did you stop eating? Holy toledo girlfriend, you're going to melt away!

You're fetchings are gorgeous!! I'm thinking I may make another pair for my sister for her birthday.

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Knittypants said...

Great pair of Fetchings, I can see why they would be a struggle to part with. Good thing you bought another ball.

 
At 4:23 AM, Blogger Dana Marie said...

I made a pair w/ the picot edge.. and I think I like how yours turned out better! Looks like I am going to do another...

 
At 5:00 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

I agree with everyone, the Fetchings are great and of course you need to make some for yourself. And I ask along with Stephanie, where in Texas?

And one question. My Knit Together group has its package of Christmas gifts ready to send to your friend, but I have lost the address. Could you send it to me? My email is: mpeach at elc dot net.

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

You handwarmers look absolutely Fetching! I made a few myself without the picot edge. I just don't like the picot. The color you used is gorgeous and of course the yarn is the best. I'd like to knit a pair for myself in that yarn. Now back to my Christmas pressure knitting, LOL. Time is running short! Handwarmers for everyone!!

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I love Fetching! My One Skein Pal made me a pair and I've been wearing them non stop all week.

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger amylovie said...

Oh man! I keep forgetting to look at our Christmas hours at the shop. I'm sending myself a note!

Amy

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Love the wristwarmers! They are so pretty.

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Definitely knit for your knitting self!

 
At 7:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely!!!! and the color is gorgeous!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home