Monday, February 19, 2007

The Home Stretch

My youngest daughter's boyfriend has been gone to church camp all weekend - a 3-day weekend.

She's sad, she's lonely... she's drawing UN-happy faces on everything....

She told me yesterday - you don't miss daddy this much when he's gone.... I tried to explain that of course I do - but after 25 years I've figured out whining doesn't help the time go faster and no one really wants to hear it anyway....

She didn't buy it.

Kaity told her, "6 months ago you didn't even know him... now you can't take it if he's gone for 3 days?"

"Well, I didn't know what I was missing then...." she whines.

Young Love.... she's driving us crazy.

This morning she says, "It took him 6 hours to get there, and they're leaving to come home today at 12:00.... so he'll be home by 5:00"

How do you figure that?, I ask... if it took 6 hours to get there, it'll take 6 hours to get home.

No, she says.... you know it's always faster going home. Huh?

Love her logic.

However, it is proving true for Ene's Scarf. I tell ya - knitting a shawl starting at the widest point and going to the smallest is the hot setup. Every row getting shorter - I'm all over that. I am headed for home - and, hey, it's always faster going home, so I've got that going for me.

2 hours until the boyfriend gets back. We all can't wait. Or maybe just 1 hour, depending on how you measure time.

Labels:

13 Comments:

At 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your shawl is turning out beautiful! Is that the yarn Kaity dyed for you? It's so pretty.

AND! Congrats to Miss Kaity on her new shop! I'm eyeing some of that cute sock yarn she has....

Hope the boyfriend gets home soon, sounds really sappy over there. ;)

 
At 6:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's hilarious. I know exactly what she means, though. The return trip usually does seem quicker.

Your shawl is so pretty! It's coming along very quickly, too.

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Ah, young love... It's so painful, for everyone. :-)

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

TOO FUNNY! I'm sure we were all like that "once upon a time".

Ene is looking absolutely beautiful! I love seeing progress photos!

 
At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

patience, mama. it's what separates us from the youngins :-)
LOVE the scarf!

 
At 12:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah to be young and restless, hehehe. It is sweet though that she misses him so much.

Your shawl is looking stunning!

 
At 4:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said, Lynda! No matter how great the vacation has been, it's always good to get home...especially when theres a little cutie waiting there for you!

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger Brenda in Toronto said...

heehee... young love - the pining, the yearning, the whining. lordy - were we all like that?!

 
At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain... ;o)

Your shawl looks beautiful!!

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Jillio said...

aawww...
i know how that feels. i've had a few long distance relationships (college, ugh) and that feeling is totally rough!
3 days is waaaaaaay easier than three months! and at least he was at church camp. my college bf was (still is) in the forestry service so i would never know when i'd hear from him during the summer. he would have to drive to a payphone in the middle of nowhere in the evenings to talk to me when he had time or wasn't too tired. i used to worry when it would be over a week before i'd hear from him...you ever see that music video for nickelback's song "far away"? that was exactly my situation whenever i'd watch news about fires and you can't imagine my relief when i'd get a phone call.
and you know what's funny? my bf had to drive across oregon to get to college from idaho, and he said the same thing about the drive. he said coming back to school at the end of the summer was a faster drive because he was coming to where i would be.
he was my first love. kinda sad that it didn't work out. *sigh*

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger amylovie said...

Oh, to be young again!

Amy

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger Good Yarns said...

I remember those days of young love! What fun!

I noticed your sea socks button. Are you going? Know anyone who's going?

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Oh dear, love her logic ... tell her "If you go to sleep the time will go by faster and then when you wake up, he'll be here." That's what I use to say about traveling. Only it doesn't work if you're the one driving, LOL.

BTW, that shawl is BEAUTIFUL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home