Wednesday, March 15, 2006

The Crafty Gene


Since Rogue looks pretty much the same, about 4" longer in the hood, but basically the same, I thought I'd share this picture with you. I did not knit this. My mom did, for my birthday, quite a few years ago. I don't wear it too often, because it fits better when I'm at my "fighting weight," which I am not at this time.... but, I'm working on it. I have a lot of things I'm going to wear and knit when I have "that body" again.... does anyone else do that? I just can't put the frumpy body in the cool clothes - they both have to be right.... hence, I live in jeans and Old Navy T's. I've really got to step up my game - there are a LOT of things I want to knit - and I WILL get back the body to wear them!!

Ok, enough for the little self pep talk...

Isn't this sweater pretty, though? When I wasn't a knitter, making something so beautiful seemed impossible to me. But, hey - now I can! I can make beautiful things, and it's not that hard! How fun is that?

See, I come from crafty genes, they just skipped my generation. My sis didn't get it either. Kaity did. How is this fair?

Now, I can be crafty, within reason. I think I talked about this in my very first post. However, for the most part I have to have a plan (someone else's), and a picture (VERY important, I have to SEE it to get it), and precise directions - and someone to help me interpret them. I can copy something, but I have few original ideas of my own. I'm a huge follower.... baa, baa

That's one of the reasons I love knitting blogs. I see the same pattern knit up SOOOOO many different ways! Ways I would have never thought of, in colors and yarns I would have never thought to use. Now, true, I usually don't use the yarn called for in a specific pattern, but that's usually a cost factor, and I usually pick something pretty similar.... but I am getting braver. You guys are stretching me, getting me to think outside my box....

Hey - you know.... it's not so bad out here, outside the box...

11 Comments:

At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see Rogue done and on you! Your mother's sweater is really pretty- you'll wear it again... I am so glad I am not the only one with a stash of patterns that are waiting for the body to catch up with! I guess it's just a matter of time...

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger chris said...

The sweater your mom made is so pretty! I love that mint/sage color. And don't sell yourself short! I think you've got crafty genes up the ying yang. ;-) Take care, Lynda! :-)

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Lynda said...

The color is actually a very ice blue... sometimes it's so hard to get an accurate color! still pretty though!

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

That sweater is really pretty. Your mom did a great job.

I totally know what you mean about having the right body for the cool clothes. I need to work my way there too so that I can knit up the pretty things and the cool things and wear them.

I'm one of those followers too (baa! baa! from me too) who need to see the pictures, follow the pattern, etc. Cost is a big factor for me with yarn as well and I really want to try some of those nice alpaca's and whatnot that is available...though I would have to order them off the net I think.

I'm not yet outside the box...but I think my head is sticking up over the side so I can see over...lol.

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Jen said...

No No No! let me back in the box! It's so nice and comforting in there!

Actually, I'm being serious. I have a hard time being outside the box where there are all kinds of ruls. I often find that if there aren't rules, I make em up so I feel better that there are rules involved.

Anyway, the sweater your mom made you is beautiful, and your Rogue is coming along beautifully!

 
At 6:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mom is a most excellent knitter! Lovely sweater.
I'm the only one in my family who got the crafty gene. It's sad really. I'm lucky though, that I think Lizzie got it. If not, I'll force it on her. ;)

Enjoy your place outside the box. Is it scary there?

 
At 4:41 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Dang, if you don't have crafty genes, I don't know who does! :)

 
At 4:43 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

Wow - that sweater is stunning. Thanks for showing it to us.

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger Karen said...

That sweater is so pretty!!! And I'd say you certainly do have the crafty gene too - and it's developing at an astonishing rate!! Good for you!!

 
At 5:55 AM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

Oh, I think the crafty gene is definitely there. You just took your time getting it going. You're a lot like Amylovie, once you let the gene out of the bag, you became crafty with passion and skill.

 
At 6:16 AM, Blogger Sonya said...

That is such a pretty sweater. And you are totally crafty! I'm definitely not crafty in the sense that I creatively make fabulous things with a little fabric, a glue gun and some glitter. But I do follow instructions really well. Well, sometimes anyway. Can't wait to see your Rogue!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home